“The best investment is in the tools of one’s trade”. Benjamin Franklin.
As a carpenter, wood carver or any other professional that deals with wood and needs reliability and efficiency concerning their tools of trade, then you know that it is really necessary that you invest in machines that work effectively, and all these, without putting a strain on your budget, a machine that brings out the best in your craft and help you create top-notch quality works, then you have to get yourself the best table saw the market has to offer instead of cutting every piece of wood by hand. A table saw would make clean and precise cuts. You might want to take your measurements twice, but a table saw is sure to cut just once at an incredibly fast pace.
A table saw makes use of a fast-spinning blade to cut into wood quickly and accurately. With table saws, the blade rotates in place and you will have to move the wood across the table, whereas in other saws, the blade moves and while the wood stays put and although table saws are mostly used for cutting wood, table saws can equally be used for cutting other materials like sheet plastic, sheet aluminum, and sheet brass. Plenty table saws are also called jobsite saws, why?
That is because these table saws often break down easily and they may even have wheels in order to aid easy transportation. And the size of the table itself also really matters, it is important that you make sure the table is large enough for you to work on. Most of the table surfaces will be around 2’x2’, and that is definitely plenty enough room to navigate different types and sizes of woods.
It is however also good to look out for a metal surface as that will hold up for much longer. Therefore, when shopping for a table saw, it is imperative to look out for the one that matches your needs as there are four different types of table saws.
Benchtop table saws also known as portable table saws are lightweight and they are designed to be placed on a table or any other support system for operation. Benchtop table saw is mostly used by homeowners and DIYers. It can be carried around from site to site because of their small size, you will, however, need to get yourself a table or a stand. It is good for home use but it is definitely not a table saw for heavy-duty. Benchtop table saws are the least expensive of all table saws.
A contractor table saw, on the other hand, is larger and has a more powerful motor. These saws are most times attached to a frame with wheels so they can be rolled around the job site.
Cabinet table saws have larger units and are designed to stay put in your workshop. These table saws are built inside a solid cabinet thereby providing you with plenty of space to work. You might want to have either a basic benchtop table saw, an advanced contractor or a cabinet table saw, that is, depending on the type of job you are doing and how often you do them.
And lastly, the hybrid table saw which might be similar to a cabinet saw with a full enclosure from the top of the table to the floor or it might have a shorter cabinet on legs. Some hybrid saws come with cabinet-mounted trunnions while some have table-mounted trunnions. Cabinet-mounted trunnions are generally easier to adjust than table-mounted ones. Hybrid saws can be and are often heavier than contractor saws while some are lighter than cabinet saws.
Knowing the different types of table saws helps us know and understand the different parts of these power tools and how they operate.
- THE BLADE
The blade is considered one of the most important parts of the table saw. It is common to find table saws with blades of 10 to 12 inches in diameter. The larger the number of small teeth in the blade, the finer the cuts. Cuts from larger teeth are rough but faster. According to Home Depot, having as many as 80 teeth in the blade will result in very fine cuts.
- THE MOTOR
Apart from the blade, another important part of the table saw is the motor. The motor determines the speed at which the blade spins. A motor that has higher power will work at a faster pace and cut easily through hard wood. For table saws, the motors commonly range between 1 and 3 horsepower. Moto hir can also be measured in amps and it is typical to find 10 to 20 amps.
- THE DUST COLLECTION SYSTEM
You would also find table saws that possess a dust collection system, this system automatically deposits the sawdust into a collection bag in the process of cutting the wood.
- THE FENCE
The fence on the table saw helps in guiding the wood and making a straight cut and the meter on its part assists in making cross cuts or angled cuts. The fence and the meter gauge are two very critical components of every table saw. A fence that is of good quality can differentiate a good table saw from a bad one since it has to be stable and adjustable. If the fence is not sturdy enough then your cuts would definitely not be as accurate as you want them to be which of course would be really frustrating.
- THE MITER GAUGE
Emphasis should be placed on the quality of the miter gauge if your work is based on projects that require cross-cutting or angle-cutting.
- THE SAFETY GUARD
In most table saws, you will find out that a sort of guard is put over the blade as a kind of safety mechanism. This guard also does the job of preventing dust and particles of wood from flying back at the machine operator.
Having all these in mind, we have gathered the best table saws you can buy within your budget and still get your money’s worth at the same time.
Below we have categorized the best table saws under 10 criteria and the product you can invest your money in:
1) DEWALT 10-INCH TABLE SAW DWE7491RS – BEST TABLE SAW FOR BEGINNER
This versatile table saw was made by DEWALT. It can be used by professional contractors and an average DIY expert alike and this is a great feature because it is actually rare to come across a table saw with such a feature. This table saw offers both convenience and flexibility with an extra added value of the Scissor Stand with which you can use to set it up anywhere on your work site with the assurance that it is sturdy and durable enough to do the job reliably. The DEWALT 10-Inch Table Saw is applied to uses like ripping deck boards, framing lumber, sheet material and many more like that.
FEATURES AND DETAILS
- *The DEWALT 10-Inch Table saw’s scissor stand feature rack and its pinion telescoping fence rail makes fence adjustment smooth, fast and accurate. You can use patented material support for narrow cuts, with 28 inches of rip capacity that cuts easily, a variety of larger shelving and trim material.
- *The DEWALT 10-Inch Table Saw also possesses a flip over fence which allows you to make narrow rip cuts and to telescope fence rails retract in order to create a small and portable package.
- *This table saw features a 15.0-amp high torque motor with the strength to cut pressure-treated lumber and hardwoods.
- *The saw table has a 32 ½’’ rip capacity with the fantastic ability to quickly, accurately and easily adjust the fence. This amazing product cuts at 3-1/8” depth with a 90-degree cut and a depth of 2 ¼” with a 45-degree cut.
- *It also has the Site-Pro Modular Guarding System which allows for tool free adjustments of guarding components appropriate for each and every application.
- *This particular machine also comes with a 2-inch Dust Collection Port that connects easily to a vacuum for efficient dust extraction.
- *This table saw with stand includes in its features, a board storage that gives you easy access to the Site Pro Guarding components and push stick when it is not in use.
- *Its table is 26 ¼” inch X 22, thereby making it possible for it to provide superior material support.
- *You will find out that this unit also comes with a compact folding stand that allows easy stand-alone job on site. This product has DEWALT’s 3-year manufacturer warranty.
Pros and Cons
|It is easy to set up and breakdown. According to customers’ testimonies, it, being a jobsite saw, in comparison to a shop saw is the best on the market.||The only downside to this table saw is with the meter gauge, customers complain that it is not reliable and the design is cheap. This can very well impact the accuracy of your cuts.|
|This product was chosen for its portability and convenience.|
|Its performance even makes you feel like you are working in your own shop.|
|The adjustable fence also gets enthusiastic thumbs up from customers far and wide for making precision cuts easy.|
2) SKIL 3410-02 10-INCH SAW – BEST TABLE SAW (CHEAP) FOR THE MONEY
If you want a table saw for your DIY projects, and your budget seems to be on the tight side, then you might want to consider the SKIL 3410-02 10-Inch Table Saw. Also, this table saw is ideal for DIY woodworkers that want to take on bigger projects in and around the house.
FEATURES AND DETAILS.
- *This unit has a 15-Amp motor that is powerful enough to rip into plenty different kinds of wood, it rips long boards to width and cross cut smaller pieces, meter or bevel. For most household projects, the 3 ½” cut heights offer more than enough capacity to slice 4X the material.
- *It has a Cast aluminum top which is 20”x26” gives plenty of room to handle the job. At 90-degrees, the maximum cut depth is 3 ½” and is 2 ½” at 45-degrees.
- * Its self-aligning rip fence and EZ View measurement system for accurate settings will help you to acquire very accurate cuts.
- *To set up this table saw and to break it down is really easy, actually without any difficulties because it has a heavy-duty steel folding stand and quick mount feature for setup and easy transport.
- *Has a 20-Inch x 26-Inch cast aluminum table extends to 20-Inch x 32-Inch for longer work pieces. Bevel Angle Range:0° to 47°.
Pros and Cons
|This unit has a 15-Amp motor that is powerful enough to rip into plenty different kinds of wood||As a professional, who invested in this product probably to save money, you might end up being disappointed with this particular table saw. This table saw is definitely not constructed for commercial purposes so it is not advisable to buy it, that is, if you are looking for a machine you would be able to use it for many hours on a daily basis. But you work on wood on weekends as a hobby, then why not, the SKIL 3410-02 10 Inch Table Saw is exactly what you want to use in accomplishing many different projects.|
|This particular table saw is not expensive and it is actually perfect for the average DIY homeowner, you just need some time to get used to it and it even has plenty of features that you can use to make sure that you make the right cuts.|
3) Bosch 4100-10 10 Inch Worksite saw – BEST TABLE SAW UNDER 1000
This Bosch 4100-10 10 Inch Gravity-Rise Worksite table saw offers amazing portability and astonishing quality at the same time without giving one up for the other, this is for a tool that can and will get the job done anywhere and at any time. This 15-Amp table saw has a 4.0 maximum HP which provides users with a great deal of productivity. This particular table saw offers a power that is both convenient for ripping and cutting of either rough or fine materials. It also blends soft-start circuitry in order to minimize the possibility of setting off a circuit breaker and for the smooth but at the same time quick ramp-up to the operating speed to put in check, the intensity of motor start-up.
FEATURES AND DETAILS.
- *It has Constant Response circuitry that assists in maintaining speed under load, and overload protection.
- *The Square Lock rip fence is tailored for maximum originality and great ease of use, with the fence able to glide easily along the rail while running a one-handed operation.
- *The lighter GTA47W Gravity-Rise wheeled stand boasts of an 8 Inch threaded rubber-composite tiers and a single-action design that helps for easy set-up and transport.
- *It has a heavy-duty construction that is jobsite-ready.
- * It has a large 25” ripping capacity that can handle many and different widths, and the top is made of durable cast aluminum.
- *With the innovative smart guard system, you are well protected from the blade and at the same time, you will get a really clear view of the cut itself.
Pros and Cons
|The metal construction is one characteristic of the Bosch table saw that is well appreciated by customers because it is durable and does not easily get spoilt. It has been used by people to build cabinets, furniture and many other random household items.||There are some reports that the meter gauge of this table saw is not of a very high quality and that the dust collection feature does not work as it should.|
|The Bosch table saw is easy to move around because it has a gravity stand and you can easily break it down in your garage, shop or store without it taking up too much space.|
|There seems to be not much complaints on the accuracy of the cuts of this product from customers and this is a good thing because the accuracy of cuts is a very important component of a table saw.|
4) SawStop PCS175 Table Saw – BEST TABLE SAW (BEST PICK) FOR THE MONEY
The SawStop PCS175 Table Saw is ideal both for professionals and people that work on wood as a hobby, this table saw delivers the performance that amazes the user and it comes with peace of mind. This table saw have amazing features that make it a good choice for users. It has a safety system that detects when somebody accidentally makes contact with the spinning saw blade, it then stops the blade really fast, this way, what could have been a devastating injury would be totally avoided.
FEATURES AND DETAILS
- *This table saw comes with a 36-inch T-glide fence system which provides secure lockdown and also gives it additional strength and increases its precision including rails and extension table and that means that you do not have any worries about deviations.
- *A 99 percent dust collector is added both at top and under the table because the unit is fully enclosed.
- *There is also the inclusion of a riving knife that reduces kickback and protects you when making cuts that are not thorough.
- *This table saw also comes with a blade that tilts towards the left thus preventing wood from binding against the fence.
- *The saw stop table saw requires just 110-volt power so it is a really great tool for homes and shops since it is convenient for you to plug it anywhere.
Pros and Cons
|This particular product is very popular among users for its solidity, stability and most importantly, its reliability. It is so strong that it can tackle wood of any size.||The only thing that seems to be on the negative side of this product is its price. If you are working on a tight budget, then this is not the product for you. But all in all, it is absolutely worth it!|
|Speaking of size, it has a spacious enough table top area that you can use for different demanding applications.|
|The measuring instruments are precise and neat. This is a perfect tool for the perfect finishing you will ever dream of as a craftsman or a hobbyist.|
5) JET 708675PK Deluxe XACTASAW – BEST TABLE SAW FOR WOODWORKING
If you are considering a tool for its safety, then this is entirely the tool for you. This Deluxe XACTSAW has a quick-release riving knife and integrated arbor lock that keeps the operator safe and makes him more efficient. This table saw comes with an upgraded Poly-V belt drive system that enables it to operate smoothly and more efficiently.
FEATURES AND DETAILS.
- *The Deluxe XACTA SAW also has a fully shrouded blade that efficiently collects dust.
- *With the 26”x30” inch wings and deep table, you have even more cast iron to work on.
- * It also has a built-in 12.5” inch x 18” inch x 4” inch storage drawer that is sealed off from the cabinet, this means you have your necessities within arm’s reach and there is the inclusion of an on board fence and meter gauge storage.
- *The Arbor size is 5/8 inches, Amps is 14.5, Maximum Depth of cut 3 inches, Port Size inch, 4 inches.
- *O.D dust port for increased and efficient dust collection.
- *Left and right cast iron extension wings that provide the largest table surface in its class.
- *Its meter gauge has adjustable positive stops and large soft grip handles that provide large crosscutting capacity and accurate meters.
- *Also, its precision ground high luster cast iron table tops s with front edge bevel the user work in a hassle-free position.
Pros and Cons
|This product is highly praised by customers for features like its solidity, since it is mostly made from cast iron, this is especially obvious when it is in use.|| What you might not like about the Deluxe XACTA Table saw is the fact that the table top is not so level. |
|The wide, cast iron trunnion mechanism incorporating the motor, hand wheel, and magnetic controls along with the sealed storage drawer that is placed at the heart of this table saw is definitely a plus.||Difficulties in assembling this tool but that depends totally on the user because there are some reports of it being easy to assemble by a minority of the customers.|
|It runs a rather smooth and quiet operation despite the size of its motor.|
|The fence of this table is perfect for working on large sizes of wood.|
|And when it comes to the protection of the user, this saw, the anti-kickback, the pawl, and the modular blade guard are there in the form of what you can call “saving grace”, and plus the left tilting blade. You can count on being safe and work with peace of mind when using this product.|
|With this saw, you can make effortless smooth cuts on long length of wood.|
6) Grizzly G0690 Saw – BEST PORTABLE JOBSITE TABLE SAW
As a craftsman, having this saw in your shop is going to be the height of it because every part of this saw screams quality and great performance. This table saw was destined the gold standard among the 10 foot left tilting cabinet table saws. The Grizzly G0690 will be the focal point in any shop it is placed because of its many great features.
FEATURES AND DETAILS.
- *It has heavy-duty cast iron trunnions, a precision ground cast iron table with meter gauge T-slots and a heavy-duty powder-coated cabinet.
- *This table saw features a 3 HP Leeson motor and triple belt drive to its big cast iron table and wings.
- *A Camlock T-fence with HDPE face. Heavy cast hand wheels with magnetic switches. T-slot meter gauge and 4-foot port for dust collection.
- *This table saw also includes a quick release riving knife, quick release blade guard, quick release splitter assembly.
- *Easy glide fence system with knurled knobs for adjusting fence Nylon runners in the fence head assembly, T-square type fence system Setscrew holding table inserts down. Quick release also, for changing the guard or riving knife. It comes with standard and dado table inserts.
- *The blade tilt is L Distance from front of table to blade at maximum blade height; 12 ¼” Distance from the front of the table the center of the blade; 17 ¼” Approximate shipping weight; 542 lbs FEATURES. This is what you call a dream come true!
Pros and Cons
|It also has a great noise management mechanism as the noise level seems better than in its other models but one cannot still say that this machine operates silently, after all, it is a heavy duty tool that makes use of a powerful motor so it is not expected of it to operate without any sound at all.||On the downside, if you are looking for extremely high precision, this table saw is not for you because most of the complaints from customers are based on the blade and the fact that it is off by a couple of hundred inches, so it is not the most professional table saw on the market.|
|The outstanding qualities of this product makes it stand out, like the stability, due to innovative engineering and some great design.|
|This machine is deemed very stable.|
|And customers are really appreciative of its manual as it is very well written and quite comprehensive, this is a good one because most manuals don’t have the same quality, so as a beginner, you have no problem setting up and using the machine, just consult your manual!|
7) MAKITA 2705 Saw – BEST CONTRACTOR TABLE SAW
The Makita 10-Inch Contractor table saw is a versatile and powerful table saw that you as a craftsman would want to have in your shop or on the jobsite. It is simply the best with the assembly of its features.
FEATURES AND DETAILS
- *The 2705 packs together a range of convenient and easy to use features with the inclusion of a 15amp power.
- *It has adjustable dual slide guards which allows users to measure easily from the blade to the rip fence for cutting setups.
- *Its riving knife or spreader can be adjusted to 3 different positions depending on the cut you are making; through, non-through or dado cuts.
- *Then there is a right extension table that allows for greater cutting capacity with the capability to rip 4X8 sheets of plywood.
- *The Makita 2705 is powered by a 15 amp motor that delivers 4,800 rpm together with an electric brake for maximum productivity.
- *It has a large cutting capacity of 3-5/8” inch at 90 degrees and 2 ½” inches at 45 degrees. This power tool can rip 4X material in a go and can use up to a 6 x 13/6-inch dado blades.
- *It also has a tool-less modular blade guard system with adjustable dual side guards to allow users ease of measurement from the blade to the rip fence for cutting setups.
- *And the adjustment features are, a 3/8 x ¾ inch T-slot meter gauge with grooves that supports cutting material securely for wide cross cutting jobs.
Pros and Cons
|On the upside, the Makita 2705 has great power compared to its competitors, if you are looking for quality, then this product is for you.||The product is heavier than most machine in its category.|
|Its safety features, that is, the electric brake, the kickback stops, blade cover and the riving knife are all top notch.||There is also a little complaint on the fence.|
|Most importantly, it has an accurate fence.|
8) POWERMATIC PM1000 SAW – BEST CABINET TABLE SAW
The Powermatic PM 1000 is a gold standard that you definitely want to have in your workshop. Either as you are a professional or a hobbyist, you probably know name Powermatic, one of the top manufacturers of table saws, so you know that the Powermatic pm1000 is an investment that will definitely bring you returns. This is simply the best cabinet table saw as it is wired for 115V usage, the very first Powermatic cabinet table saw with this feature and it runs off a 1-3/4HP motor with a poly-v belt that reduces vibration and maximizes the motor efficiency.
FEATURES AND DETAILS
- *It has a 30” Accu-Fence system that provides you with the work space and stability that you need.
- *The blade is surrounds it and the collection hose provides a path that is unobstructed thereby maximizing collection of dust.
- *The hands free power switch is conveniently located.
- *It features a Tool-less guard assembly with independent side leaves making it easy to use and equally maximizing safety of use at the same time.
- *This table is easy to adjust for a full range of cuts with its sturdy meter gauge that pivots 60 degrees to either side.
Pros and Cons
|This table saw is safe to use and definitely affordable for those on a fairly tight budget.||The only problem with this product seems to be with the delivery.|
|It is also reliable and customers praise it for cutting anything thrown at it.|
|It is heavy duty and clamps down really tightly, the clamping force is also made in a way that it can be adjusted in accordance to the user’s preferences.|
9) Craftsman Evolv 28461 Saw – BEST HYBRID TABLE SAW
This is a really good tool for beginners and hobbyists because it is easy to use, affordable and most importantly, the compactness of this table is superb. The Craftsman 10-inch table saw boasts a sheer table top where you can smooth cuts every time.
FEATURES AND DETAILS
- *It has a strong 15-amp motor that can power through tough materials cut at cut.
- *This power tool has a meter gauge that is easy to adjust plus an accurate control for tight bevels and corners.
- *The advanced guarding system is versatile there is also a superior blade coverage that comes in a safe package.
- *The upper guarding assembly installs via clamp with latching action.
- *Its spreader repositions easily in order to lower the position of the riving knife using a tool free internal cam lever.
- *The push button assembly makes the anti-kickback pawl easy for the user and equally safe.
- *The fence is fashioned and mounted for fast rip adjustment.
- *Features a Large 25” x17” steel table and its top work surface support a variety of material, be it big or small.
- *The rack and pinion blade height controls permit smooth and accurate adjustment even on the fly setup.
Pros and Cons
|This product has a fair amount of basic features that operates smoothly and flawlessly.||However, if you are a long-time professional, then you might want to consider going for another product, because this particular model might not meet your specifications. The Craftsman Evolv table saw lacks the features for it to be regarded as a professional power tool.|
|It doesn’t take up a lot of space and the level of safety is satisfactory.||The meter gauge seems to be one of the weak points of this unit because the design is somewhat poor.|
|The accuracy is most definitely decent.||This table saw has bolted legs which puts it at a disadvantage if you are planning to move this unit frequently from place to place, though not heavy, moving it constantly can have an adverse effect on the user’s health.|
|The table top area is spacious, meaning you will have more than enough space to process large wood.||The fence mechanism is not at its best either, adjusting the fence can be frustrating sometimes especially if you are in a hurry.|
|And it is accessible to beginners because of its simplicity and ease of use, you will figure out how this tool works within the first few minutes even if you have no prior knowledge of it, just be sure to read the manual.||This particular table saw also does not have a dust collection port so you have to improvise.|
|And it is significantly cheaper compared to any other model in the same category.||And this model is only to be used outdoors, and not indoors.|
10) SKILSAW SPT70WT-01 10-inch Portable Worm Drive Saw – BEST TABLE SAW UNDER $500
This is the world’s first Worm Drive table saw specially designed for ripping. This power tool is built with Worm Drive gearing in order to achieve maximum torque and power, that is the SPT70WT-01. It sure has a lot of amazing features to offer users for its price.
FEATURES AND DETAILS
- *Features a 15-amp Dual Field motor which increases the cutting speed and provides a smooth enough start up for a saw that runs cooler and lasts for a longer period of time.
- *This table saw has the ability to rip full sheets of plywood in half with 31/2” inch depth of cut and 25-inch rip capacity, that is to say, it can manage large cuts more easily.
- *Also, it has a Durable all-steel roll cage design and a die cast aluminum top, the 49lb. table saw is lightweight for easy and quick setup on jobsites and so that it can be easily transported from one place to the other.
- *The SPT70WT-01 also comes with a 24-tooth SKILSAW Carbide-tipped blade for ripping, meter gauge, self-aligning fence, a guard system that has an anti-kickback device, insert plate, push stick and wrench.
- *This table saw incorporates the feel of a handheld worm drive.
- *The first table saw ever that has a no-load RPM of 5,300.
Pros and Cons
|This tool has a powerful motor and a compact design, it is durable and has one of the deepest cuts of 3 ½”.||This particular product does not come with a stand and the compact stand does not have wheels, although it folds compactly.|
|Rubber clamps are included, so as a user, you can place the saw on multiple surfaces.||It can be cumbersome lining up the riving knife.|
|Its locked down fence is very sturdy, its motor is quiet and does not vibrate when cutting. The push stick is accessible from the forward-facing quick draw holster; this is another plus.||It does not have a rack and pinion fence system but it is admittedly still a sturdy design.|
|And finally, it comes with a very detailed manual in addition with a 180-day Guarantee, which means you can use this tool on your jobsite for 180 days and if you do not like it, you can return it and get your money back.||The trunnion mounting assembly at the back of the table has more play than is normal.|
Either you are a professional, a DIY-er or a hobbyist, we believe that after reading through this article, you will have a more comprehensive idea on table saws, how to distinguish them and their components and uses. Therefore, we hope the list of the 10 best table saws, their attributes, their pros and cons, has helped you make your choice on the product you are going to get.
- BEST CABINET TABLE SAWS IN 2020 – THE CRAFTSMAN’S DREAM COME TRUE
- BEST CONTRACTOR TABLE SAWS 2020: AWESOME SAWS FOR THE MONEY
- 5 BEST HYBRID TABLE SAWS IN 2020 (UPDATED)