REVISION – I am a big fan of 3D printing, I have four 3D printers and I would love to have more. I’ve printed so many things, including toys for the kids, that they too have become 3D printing fans. The problem is that they want to retouch and print themselves and at their age, I can’t let them near my printers!! Then what do I do? Enter the 3Doodler 3D Build & Play 3D Printing Pen.
The 3Doodler Build & Play 3D Printing Pen is designed for kids ages 4 and up and includes special molds so kids can create designs, some of which follow reading stories. It is designed to promote STEM learning for children. 3D Build and Play is compatible with all child-safe 3Doodler Eco-Plastic.
What is in the box
1 x 3D Printing Pen
24 plastic refills.
1 x Plastic Model Mold
1 user guide
Design and features
- 3D IN SECONDS: 3Doodler 3D Build & Play allows parents and children to create in 3D in seconds.
- BUILD AND PLAY: Use Build & Play 3D and molds to create Jim the Giraffe and his friends, and read on as you take them on a grand adventure.
- EASY TO USE: Designed to be fun and easy to hold and use, the crank can be moved for left or right handed users.
- INSURANCE FOR CHILDREN: Using low-temperature, BPA-free, and non-toxic plastic, 3D Build & Play is completely safe for children to use.
- STEAM LEARNING: Teaches fine motor skills, hands-on learning, and 3-D thinking.
- ADDITIONAL FEATURES: Includes free molds for easy-to-make characters and objects (animals, weather, and accessories)
At the top of the 3D pen, there is an on/off switch and a power indicator light, and at the bottom is the battery compartment.
In the upper front part is the nozzle through which the plastic comes out and in the upper back part is the hole through which the plastic is inserted into the 3D pen.
On each side, there is an insert for the handle and a mark to show the direction the handle should be turned to extrude or retrieve plastic. The handle can be used on either side to accommodate left and right handed users.
Below is a photo of the crank.
To start with, you have to install the batteries.
Then simply turn it on, insert a colorful string of material and twist the handle to bring the animal characters to life. As my children used it, I was able to see its ability to help them improve fine motor skills while engaging in reading and building interactive stories.
There’s a companion app that brings the creative process to life.
For this example, I chose the “Elle The Elephant” option:
working with the pen
There is an on/off switch at the top of the pen. When powered on, the LED turns red and green once it’s ready.
My kids had a lot of fun using the pen.
The photo below shows what the filled mold looks like after it is filled and hardened.
Here are some samples of the resulting models my kids created:
What I like
- The simplicity of the design.
- The ease of making models.
- The fun and imagination it provides to children.
what would change
- I would like the mold to be a little more rigid and to be able to make the models a little thicker
- While I can find plastic refills on your website, I couldn’t find any additional molds. If I’m not mistaken, there should be more molds available that offer more printing options.
The 3Doodler 3D Printing Pen is a good toy for children who want to explore the concept of 3D printing at an early age and get a good idea of what they can create with their imagination. In my opinion, for the price, it’s a good deal.
Where to buy: 3Doodler and Amazon website
Font: The sample for this review was provided by 3Doodler